Calcifert Mag is a granulated dolomitic limestone that is manufactured in the UK and contains more than 19% magnesium as MgO. Granulated using dolomitic limestone flour and a water-soluble binder, Calcifert Mag is ideal for magnesium deficient soils that have a pH imbalance.
Why apply magnesium lime?
- Magnesium is an essential ingredient of chlorophyll, the green plant pigment that gives leaves their colour and enables photosynthesis.
- Magnesium is also important for phosphate and nitrogen metabolism, as well as being a key component for normal plant growth and protein synthesis.
- Along with potassium, magnesium helps regulate a plant's uptake of water and adequate magnesium levels are vital to establishing good crops.
- Magnesium lime also balances soil pH giving:
- Improved crop performance
- Better crop quality and yield
- Better fertiliser efficiency
Magnesium deficiency is most likely to occur on light sandy soils and shallow chalk soils with low organic matter. Soils with low pH are also prone to magnesium deficiency. High levels of potassium in soil, caused by potash-rich soils or overuse of potash fertiliser, reduce the ability of plants to take up magnesium.
Calcifert Mag benefits
- Can be self-spread using standard farm fertiliser spreading equipment.
- High reactivity means lower application rates than standard magnesium lime, making Calcifert Mag a cost-effective option.
- Granules of a regular shape and size ensure even spread and rapid uptake.
- Suitable for all crops including grassland and forage crops, cereals and oilseeds, fruit, veg, vines and hops.
- Independent tests have shown that Calcifert Mag can be accurately spread at up to 36 metres.